Monday, November 22, 2010

Get Sleepy, America

Just by watching television, it is easy to see that a lot of people are apparently unhappy with their beds. Every other commercial I see is for a crazy mattress that is supposed to change everything about everyone's collective life. This one is really hard, because that is what spines need. No! This one is really soft because the body needs to be gently held. Yeah right! This mattress can be as hard or as soft as you want because who cares what your body needs, it's about what helps you sleep the best. Confusing!

Clearly, no one knows what they are talking about, and scientific data mixing with television is good at proving one thing: that data is easily manipulated. If there were one right way to do things then it would be obvious; people would be running around saying things like, "Hey, this mattress company finally did it. They made the best one--everyone else can stop now." But since that isn't happening, it's clear that no one has any clue what they are talking about. Companies just know that people want new things, and that is easy enough to deliver.

It would be great if water beds made a comeback. In fact, I don't know why they are staying from this whole "good night's sleep" fad. Water bed companies should come out with an ad campaign that says something like, "You are 98% water aren't you? Don't you think you'll get a better night's sleep on something that you are already familiar with?" Then they could show pictures of someone sleeping on the surface of a lake or something. I don't know; I'm not an advertising expert. However, now that I am coming up with these ideas it does seem pretty easy. People go to college for this? Hey water bed companies, I will work for less money doing your ad work. Please respond to me in the form of a comment if you are interested.

I would much rather see a water bed in someone's home than a crazy science-foam bed. At least I would know that the person with the water bed would love to party, and not be some kind of nerd obsessed with the science of sleep. I have spent the majority of my life sleeping on random surfaces, and things have been going pretty great so far. Also, what about other cultures who don't even use beds at all? They just sleep on the ground and love it like crazy. Why is that Americans are so dainty and delicate--aren't we supposed to be tough and heroic cowboys or something?I am going to start sleeping on the floor TONIGHT.

Perhaps we worry too much about our beds. If I have learned one thing about sleep, it's that it has more to do with being tired than it does with the type of bed that exists under us. If you can't fall asleep, then you will be extra tired tomorrow night, and you will be able to fall asleep very easily. Boom. Just suck it up and make yourself tired by running around all day.

I have had more than my fair share of problems when it comes to sleep, but I have never blamed any of it on my mattress. The reason for this is because whenever I have sleep problems they clearly transcend whatever my sleeping situation is. I just need to do more in order to get a little more sleepy everyday. Life is balanced by being tired, and not being tired. That is the Yin and Yang of our particular culture. Keep that in mind as you run around today, trying to tire yourself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment