Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Having S

I can't remember the last time I was in a sex shop. Actually I can; It was probably four or five years ago after I had just gotten back from a trip that was probably to Toronto. I went with this girl who was on her way to a bachelorette party.

Our culture deems it appropriate to bring sex toys or other adult gifts to these kinds of events. It implies that women don't need these things before they get married because they are supposed to be having S until they tie the knot. If women lose their virginity before marriage no one will want them, because some of us are still pilgrims and/or sexist. The best part of this little cultural tidbit is that everyone knows sex before marriage is common, yet we still need these little ceremonies to help us pretend and uphold those values in a completely false way.

I am not saying people need to abstain from sex before marriage for any reason other than choice. I am saying we shouldn't have to pretend to be that way because our culture used to force it on us, and still does in many ways.

Also, this post is aimed at women, because since men are in control they can sleep with whoever they want. BOOM. Haven't you seen Mad Men? It's just our nature--which also means we don't have to make excuses for it. With great power comes great responsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment