Friday, October 15, 2010

All Your Cultures Are Belong To Us

I am normally not to into the idea of alternative medicines. However, I have a great desire in myself to try out acupuncture for some reason. I don't care to eat things that claim to be organic, but for some reason the idea of someone sticking needles in my body sounds decent.

Maybe the idea is that I just don't trust any kind of alternative medicine invented in the last fifty years.. by white people. If something has been around for centuries and centuries I am more inclined to believe that it is actually doing something. Acupuncture is not the lemon cleanse or the ear candle--which are both absolutely and obviously ridiculous--even though it seems ten times as crazy as either of those practices.

I used to live near Los Angeles, and acupuncture was huge there. That is actually kind of a turn off. If a rich person or someone from Hollywood "swears by" anything it is clearly a fad. However, people in Los Angeles are into stealing the cultures of other peoples, so hopefully that is the case with acupuncture.

It is just so hard to know what is beneficial and healthy, as opposed to things that do nothing, using only racism and stereotypes alone. Oh well, this is the world we live in; go with it.

1 comment: