Monday, July 26, 2010

"Shh! I'm trying to watch this" -- Coleridge

When I was a kid, one of my favorite films was Ninja Turtles. However, even as a child I wondered if those giant turtles could really live in the sewer--Yes I was fine with giant, talking, weapon-wielding turtles, but I was concerned if the logistics of living in the sewer were accurately portrayed in the film. Anyway, all I knew about the sewer at that point was that it was apparently where all of my potty went--making it no place to live.

Maybe the Turtles just lived a section where the sewer service was above average, and thus, way cleaner. Perhaps it was abandoned. Oh wait, now I remember--It's fictional.

This is an important part of growing up: not complaining about something in a film when it is "unrealistic". Even if the film is all about realism and obeys all the rules of the world we actually live in, that doesn't mean the universe created by the film has to be devoid of miraculous events--in fact we should welcome them. Isn't the point of a fictional story to show the audience something normal and different at the same time?

Suspend your disbelief long enough to enjoy the movie. Relish in the fiction of giant turtles, magic queens, and wars in Indianapolis. It's just a story, so either learn a lesson from it, or enjoy the escape that it gives you.

No comments:

Post a Comment