Tuesday, July 27, 2010

You'll Be a Dentist


So the other day I was watching the 1986 musical, Little Shop of Horrors, the one with Rick Moranis, and I had totally forgotten that Steve Martin plays the dentist in that movie. My heart split a little at the thought of how funny Steve Martin used to be--not that he isn't funny anymore, but he just isn't in very funny movies.

If I have to choose between the dad in Cheaper by the Dozen or the singing, serial dentist, the answer is obvious. Steve Martin has made some of the funniest movies of all time, most notably The Jerk. Though that brand of comedy might be a little strange by today's standards but it is still funnier than most movies I've seen in the last decade or so.

So come back to us Steve; start writing your own characters again and being in charge of your career. Come out of that retirement home in Spring Hill FL, or wherever it is you are and get silly. The Jerk and The Dentist are just a few of your classic characters that need to survive. I just need Steve Martin to return in a big way, and that's all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment